Thursday, October 4, 2012

Basil Chicken Pizza on the Grill

Confession: I love making pizza on the grill and I don't know if I can ever go back to the oven.

I feel better. Thank you.

We have been making pizza on the grill for over a year now and it has been great. I have this standard pizza dough recipe that I make in about 7 minutes and it works. We use the pizza stone and it's been really great so far. Then, my mom gave me a recipe for a chicken basil pizza. I put it in my "recipes to try" drawer and didn't really think about it again. A couple of weeks ago the previously mentioned drawer pretty much threw up its contents all over the other drawers in the stack and I found the recipe again. So we tried it.

Our yummy basil plant happily growing alongside the rosemary plant.
It started with those loaves of bread dough you find in the freezer aisle of the grocery store. I was a little hesitant to use those because I really like making my own quick dough. How blinded I was! I split one of the loaves in half and made 2 pizzas. So easy and, dare I say, it worked better than my quick recipe on the grill. So, now I have to figure out how to make the dough in my bread machine and use that for future pizzas. That's for another time.

The crusts. As you can tell, they aren't circular. Thankfully, shape doesn't matter when it comes to a good pizza.
On to the chicken! I made a basil marinade using leaves from our basil plant in the backyard. If you like basil at all, you should really plant your own plant. Ours was around $4 in the spring and we have been enjoying the tastiness of it all summer long. I just need to figure out a way to take a cutting and bring it inside since we've gotten used to fresh basil on everything.

Chicken on the grill. I apologize for the quality of this and some of the pictures to come. I stink when it comes to taking pictures of the grill. I don't know if it's the heat or what, but it is not a skill I possess.
I grilled the chicken and sliced it. Then the crusts got tossed directly onto the grill for a few minutes before I flipped them and added the sauce and some cheese. The pizza stone is nice, but placing the pizzas directly on the grill was even better.
Pizzas with sauce and cheese.
Then we added the chicken, some more fresh basil, some sun dried tomatoes, and some asiago cheese. It took a bit to get the cheese all melted, but it was worth the wait.
I warned you about the picture quality... Even still, doesn't it look delicious?
Drew is already cooking up other recipe ideas to try. Yum!

Oh! Look at the basil and the tomatoes! I might just have to make this again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment