Thursday, October 11, 2012

One Year and Thousands of Miles Ago

A year ago, Drew and I were in the middle of a European vacation. It was an amazing trip and we had so much fun packed into two and a half weeks. We've been thinking and talking about that trip recently and I thought I'd share some pictures of the sights we saw.

My company decided to send me over to Zurich, Switzerland for a week of training at one of our labs. The last time they sent me there, it was for 2 months and I wasn't married. That trip was such an enjoyable experience and I had a blast once I got used to being by myself and not really speaking English much at all. I travelled every weekend and my parents came to visit and travel with me for three weekends. It was a great experience.

I was really excited to go again this time, but not very excited to be away from my husband. We had toyed with the idea of honeymooning in Europe after we were engaged, but then I realized that trying to plan a wedding and a trip to Europe was really a terrible idea and we decided a spring trip to Europe would be better. So, when this work opportunity arose, we started talking about moving the Europe trip up to the fall and trying to figure out if Drew could get the time off work. In the end, we decided we simply couldn't pass up having half of the trip paid for and we made it happen.

We flew into Zurich and arrived at 8:00 Saturday morning. The flight over there had been pretty rough (the heater wasn't working in our section so we were freezing and didn't get to sleep much at all) and it was raining when we stepped out of the train station. We pushed through the moisture, exhaustion, and our less than cheery dispositions and made do.

The grey skies of Zurich.

The Grossmunster church in Zurich.
Sunday we went to Lucerne and had a lovely day. I had been to Lucerne before and it was just as wonderful as I remembered. I think it's the most beautiful city in Switzerland and I highly recommend a visit if you get the opportunity.
The Chapel Bridge in Lucerne. Half of the bridge burned in 1993 and they rebuilt it so well that you can only tell the new from the old when you walk on it and see the charred beams above where the fire was.
One of the funniest pictures from our trip. I would love to learn the story of the events leading up to the bike ending up in the river!
Beautiful Lucerne.
I went to work Monday and Drew flew to Madrid to visit some friends of ours who are serving on a short cycle missions team there. I missed him terribly, but he had so much more fun visiting friends than he would have had being stuck in Zurich while I was at work. We met up again Friday afternoon in the main train station and headed out on our week and a half of adventure. (More pictures to come, but here's the teaser!)

Our shadows at the entrance of the Palace of Versailles.
Neuschwanstein Castle as seen from Mary's Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment