I alluded to the wall art in the basement in my
last post and here's the skinny on that.
The basement living room is quite long and that's quite a bit of wall space to fill. After purchasing some other wall art for other rooms in the house, I wasn't too excited about trying to find some pieces for the basement. After all, we had just purchased new furniture and my wallet wasn't thrilled with the idea of spending more money.
Earlier this summer my mom and I took a painting class together. It was a Mother's Day present and we had a great time. I already had this idea of painting something myself so I paid careful attention to the types of paints and other supplies that we used. Then, I went out to Michael's and purchased some 16 x 20 inch canvases when they were $2.50 per canvas and used a 40% off coupon on a brush set. A few weeks after that, I bought several tubes of acrylic paint when they were $0.28 each (plus a 20% off my entire purchase coupon) and used another 40% off coupon on a can of spray lacquer.
 |
| My supplies. I'm sure that "real" artists would scoff at my paint selection, but it worked just fine for me. |
Then, I got to work finding some sort of inspiration for this project because, as you may or may not know, I'm a scientist. A total type A, right-brain scientist. Creativity is not one of my strengths. So, I googled phrases like "easy canvas art" and "diy paint canvas" and looked at some pictures. These were my final inspiration choices:
 |
| Original found here. |
 |
| Original found here. |
I got to work and this is how it all turned out!
 |
| My less than $25 wall art. Nothing fancy, but still something fun to make. |
 |
| The canvases in their position above the couch. I really like the pop of color on the wall. |
As Drew said, if I get sick of them in a few months/years, I can throw them out or paint over them. I'm definitely not sick of them yet so we'll keep them for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment